Friday, August 1, 2008

Update on PHY 101 and 302/402

I have now taught PHY 302 and 402 (Classical Mechanics I and II) using a Moore-like method. I have also taught PHY 101 again, using an activity-based approach with emphasis on philosophy of science. See my posts below for more information about how I teach these courses.

Right now I just wanted to say that my most recent student evaluations from PHY 101 and 402 were the best I have ever gotten. They were just fantastic. I got lots of positive comments about the teaching methods. So if you are struggling with student resistance to new teaching styles, hang in there! You can win them over eventually.

I also have some additional evidence that my philosophy of science emphasis in PHY 101 is working. I used a survey called the EBAPS that tests student views about the nature of science. I administered the test before and after the class and saw significant gains in the categories that pertain directly to philosophy of science (structure of knowledge and evolution of knowledge).

I'm very pleased with my decision to take an active learning approach in these courses. I'll be teaching a course on the Copernican Revolution for the first time this Fall. In the past this course was taught by another professor using mostly lecture. I plan to add lots of active learning components when I teach it. I'm really interested in trying to combine a historical approach (as embodied in this course on the Copernican Revolution) with active learning strategies. I'll post here in December to say how it turned out!

No comments: